ISO Publishes Two Toy Safety Standard Amendments–ISO 8124-1:2018 +A1:2020 &+A2:2020
ISO 8124-1 has been amended to include new and updated requirements such as: flying toys, toy assemblies and expanding materials. ISO 8124-1 is the international standard that follows the changes in EN 71-1 and ASTM F963 and aims to achieve global harmonization.
ISO 8124-1:2018 specifies requirements and test methods for toys intended for use by children in various age groups from birth to 14 years. The requirements vary according to the age group for which a particular toy is intended. The requirements for a particular age group reflect the nature of the hazards and the expected mental and/or physical abilities of a child to cope with them.
In June 2020, the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) has published 2 amendments (Amd.1:2020 and Amd.2:2020) for ISO 8124–1:2018 Safety of toys —Part 1: Safety aspects related to mechanical and physical properties. SGS Hong Kong (Hardlines Laboratory) can provide services related to this amendment.
These two amendments contained some substantial changes to the standard, mainly including new requirements for “Flying Toys” and “Toy Assemblies”, as well other various changes to increase safety of toys. It is now more aligned to mechanical and physical properties in EN 71-1 and ASTM F963-17.
Summary of Changes:
ISO 8124-1:2018 / AMD.1:2020
- Added new terminological entries for “flying toy” & “remote-controlled flying toy”
- Updated terminological entries for “free flight” & “leading edge”
- Replaced the original clause 4.19 “Rotors and propellers” by “Flying toys” to more closely align with EN 71-1:2014+A1:2018. New requirements were introduced as follows:
- Added leading edges requirement on rigid parts of flying toys
- Added new design & instruction requirements for the rotor blades on flying toys & remote-controlled flying toys
- New test method of perpendicular tension test for rotor blades of flying toys
- New test method of tension test for rotor blades of remote-controlled flying toys
ISO 8124-1:2018 / AMD.2:2020
- Updated the expanding material requirement & test method to align with ASTM F963-17
- Added new requirement in clause 4.36 that gives detail requirements on toy assemblies
- Added new exemption to “size, shape and strength of certain toys” to align with EN 71-1:2014+A1:2018 and ASTM F963-17
- Updated requirement to other toys with folding mechanism
- Amended the warning requirement of cord on toy & the instructions requirements for projectile toys
- Added feeler gauge in tension test and Added new terminological entry for “toy bag”